Alia Jones: Internship in Australia

• Post category:Immersion
You are currently viewing Alia Jones: Internship in Australia
Having lunch of the rooftop of the Museum of Contemporary Art Australia. There was an incredible view of the Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge (featured in the background).

G’day! My name is Alia Jones and I am a 3rd year Citizen Scholar studying Humanities-Prelaw at Michigan State University. This summer I was fortunate enough to intern abroad in Sydney, Australia, gaining six credits through a course titled AL 493B. My eight-week program consisted of hands-on experience working in Digital Marketing for 3M Australia. 3M (originally Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company) is one of the largest multinational conglomerate corporations in the world. They operate in various fields of industry, health care, consumer goods, and worker safety. 3M is commonly most recognized for Post-it® and Command™ Brands, however they produce over 55,000 products. During this time, I was not only exposed to the realm of Digital Marketing, but also to the amazing attractions Australia has to offer. My weekends were filled with trips to beautiful beaches, an incredible show at the Opera House, hiking in national parks, and so much more. 

woman standing next to giant "3M" logo in office space.
Posing with the 3M logo on at the entrance of the 3M Australia office in North Ryde, New South Wales, Australia.

Although I am a Humanities-Prelaw major, I have a focus in Professional Writing and really wanted to use this opportunity to form a more holistic approach towards my undergraduate experience. I have many interests and strongly value being well-versed in a variety of disciplines. This was the perfect opportunity for me, as I was able to further explore outside of my major. Through my internship, I gained experience performing a variety of tasks such as assisting in photoshoots for popular 3M brands like Post-it® and using photoshop to develop online content for Command™ brand. My internship experience gave me a glimpse into what life may potentially look like upon graduation and has prepared me to step out into the “real world” with tangible experience.  

“My internship experience gave me a glimpse into what life may potentially look like upon graduation and has prepared me to step out into the “real world” with tangible experience.”

Alia Jones, Internship in Australia
woman standing in front of waterfall with back to camera, holding green flag with spartan logo.
Showing Spartan Pride at Millaa Millaa Falls in Queensland, Australia.

Australia is a British Commonwealth, thus there are major British influences in their vocabulary, mannerisms, and traditions. For example, “tea time” is a popular social gathering and the Queen is featured on all of their currency. Even with the British influence, Australia still has a prominent culture of its own. I tasted Aussie delicacies like kangaroo steak and crocodile pizza. However, the most important Australian culture stems from the native Aboriginal people, who occupied the land for 55,000 years before the first European convicts arrived. I did a bush walk and learned about how Aboriginal tribes lived off the land like using tree sap as a numbing medicine and eating termites for protein (I even tried a couple myself). 

“ At my internship, cultural diversity was not only accepted, but it was celebrated.”

Alia Jones, Internship in Australia

From the beginning of my freshman year, the Citizen Scholars program has emphasized the importance of cultural competency. Through attending various cross-cultural activities and workshops, I developed an unshakable curiosity about all that awaits to be discovered. Even though I was in Australia, 3M is a global company, and I was working alongside individuals from all over the world. We even had a potluck style lunch every Monday where people would bring in traditional dishes from their country. At my internship, cultural diversity was not only accepted, but it was celebrated. This experience has truly set the tone for the type of acceptance I believe the entire world is capable of. My time abroad, along with being a Citizen Scholar, will allow me to bring values of inclusivity and appreciation wherever I go, and for that I am eternally grateful.