Cyrin Watson: Internship at the Center for Fiction

• Post category:Immersion
You are currently viewing Cyrin Watson: Internship at the Center for Fiction
Black woman wearing pink shirt standing in from of street art that reads "books are magic"
A day in Brooklyn at the Books are Magic bookstore. 

Hi! My name is Cyrin Watson. I am a senior majoring in English with a minor in Arts & Cultural Management. This past summer I spent a month as a Marketing & Public Relations intern in New York for an organization called The Center for Fiction.

The Center for Fiction, originally known The Mercantile Library, is located in Brooklyn, New York as of February 2019. It is a literary non- profit organization that specializes in the cultivation and promotion of works of fiction. They achieve this through public programming and community events. The Center for Fiction is a non-profit, bookstore, café, event space, and library.

“I am a storyteller and my goal is to help other people share their stories.”

Cyrin Watson, Internship in New York City

I was drawn to this internship because of the location. New York is a city that is home to many great writers and is rich with culture. It’s home to three of the five most prominent publishing houses and many other literary themed organizations. My goal after graduation is to pursue a career in the trade publishing industry as an editor and, at some point, an author. I am a storyteller and my goal is to help other people share their stories. Working for organizations like The Center for Fiction gives me the opportunity to do so. 

Black woman standing in front of bookshelf smiling and looking down at book in hands
My last day at The Center for Fiction!

I worked at The Center for Fiction Monday through Friday with a fluctuating schedule. As a marketing and public relations intern, my daily tasks included some basic administrative work: printing files, transcribing the mailing list, and running errands for my supervisor. I also emailed organizations for outreach opportunities, reached out to authors, and handled The Center’s social media. Some other things I was tasked with were helping the events director, the bookstore, and updating their website. I took on many responsibilities that were outside my realm of expertise which challenged me to adapt quickly. One of those challenges came when I was working at an event one night and I had to learn how to operate the audio system and perform a soundcheck. I, along with the other interns, was able to successfully run the event on my own.

“One of my favorite moments from my internship was when I wrote my first credited and published piece.”

One of my favorite moments from my internship was when I wrote my first credited and published piece. I interviewed a professor specializing in the science fiction genre and leaders of other reading workshops, for a program within the Center for Fiction called a Reading Group. My interview with the professor was published on the Center for Fiction’s website! 

My internship in New York allowed me to explore a new city, network, and gain experience in an industry I will work in post-graduation. I would recommend for every student to plan for a study away or study abroad internship in their college career.