The ShoW by Kayla Katona

My name is Kayla Katona, I’m a junior double majoring in Theatre and Media and Information. I’m a producer in the video production club MSU Telecasters. Telecasters is like a broadcasting company that has many unique shows underneath it. These shows include Beaumont Bulletin, Turn, Sideshow, Giraffe House, VideoNow, and the one I am a producer of: The ShoW. I found this program freshman year when I was searching for acting opportunities, and I fell in love with The ShoW specifically. Wanting to get more involved, I then became associate producer and worked on side projects that could improve the production, all while remaining an actor in it. 

The ShoW is the oldest branch of Telecasters and actually holds the title of “America’s Longest Running College Sitcom” as it started in 1988 and has been going strong ever since. This is the first time I’ve ever produced something, so it is a huge learning experience for me. As a producer, you take care of setting meeting times, leading the meetings, setting shoot dates, creating opportunities for everyone to hang out as a club, and generally just making sure everything gets done and runs smoothly. 

This whole experience has actually made me realize that I want to be a producer after I graduate. I’m getting great experience and learning more about myself and how I want to spend my future. Even more exciting this year we are reworking The ShoW entirely. We’re redoing the logo, changing the filming style, trying to build up our cast and crew, and completely rebuilding our main set! This is the biggest change The ShoW has had in a while, and we need all hands on deck to get it done. 

With that said, if you or someone you know may have an interest in film production or film acting, send them our way! If you’re interested in seeing our work we have three episodes that will come out around the end of this semester which you can find on our Youtube channel “The ShoW”. Next semester we will even be shooting an episode in front of a live audience, so stay tuned on our social medias to see when that will be happening! Finally, if you’re interested in joining The ShoW or any other show in Telecasters feel free to send me an email at katonak1@msu.edu, and I can give you more info!